The August Challenge is a simple Before and After challenge. You’ll take a Before photo, use a simple August based routine for at least one month, and then take an After photo.
How To Take Good Before And After Photos
It’s all about consistent lighting and camera position.
- Take your photo without makeup as this is a skincare challenge :)
- Find a well-lit room with a plain background
- Set your phone or camera up and make note of how you’ve positioned it for when you take the After photo.
- Take a picture of your full face (you can take additional photos of specific areas too, but we need the full face as the main one)
- When you take your After photo, use the same background, same time of day, and facial position.
- Try and make sure the lighting on your face is as even as possible.
- Same position, same time of day, hopefully similar weather.
- Direct light creates harsh shadows, so best not to take it right in front of a clear window.
- Sheer curtains, or privacy curtains, diffuse the light and usually create a softer light with less harsh shadows.
- Use an app to help with positioning. There are a bunch of apps on the App Store and Play Store that will overlay your previous photo so you can take your new one with ease.
Your AM Routine
We’re going to strip it back to a Cleanser, August AM Moisturiser, and Sunscreen.
Step 1 - Cleanse
We recommend a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil, QV, or CeraVe. If you’ve got a cleanser you love already that doesn’t dry you out, or leave you feeling tight afterwards, you can continue using it.
Always cleanse with lukewarm or cold water. Hot water strips your skin right back no matter how gentle of a cleanser you use.
Do not use a cleanser that contains exfoliants for this challenge.
Step 2 - August AM Moisturiser
Your AM moisturiser will be tailored with actives for the skin goals you selected. Follow any directions that came with your moisturiser, and/or the directions on the bottle.
A pea sized amount is a good place to start. We’ve all got different surface area to cover, so if you find a pea sized amount isn’t enough, apply a touch more.
If you’ve got combination skin, apply a little more to your drier areas as the moisturiser will be tailored to keep your oily areas happy.
Step 3 - Sunscreen
This one is an important one.
Your PM moisturiser will likely contain a retinoid (Vitamin A), which may cause sun sensitivity. This means if you’re using a retinoid, and not using sunscreen, you’re far more likely to burn when exposed to UV.
Our recommendation is to always wear sunscreen while using retinoids.
Sun damage is actually the reason for exacerbating most skin concerns, so protection alone will do a lot. It will help all of your other actives work more effectively by ensuring further damage isn’t done every day.
Protecting your skin from UV damage will help reduce redness, reduce signs of aging, promote better skin texture, reduce pigmentation issues… and just about everything else.
Apply your sunscreen per the instructions on it. Be sure to use one for your skin type.
Your PM Routine
Step 1 - Cleanse
The same cleanser you used in the AM is perfect to help keep things simple.
Always cleanse with lukewarm or cold water. Never cleanse with hot or very hot water (hard to do in winter, I know). Hot water strips your skin right back no matter how gentle of a cleanser you use.
Ensure you’ve cleansed away any makeup or sunscreen residue.
A note on double cleansing - if you love a double cleanse (oil cleanser + standard cleanser), go for it. If you’re not about that, you can just use the same cleanser twice to achieve the same effect - if one cleanse isn’t getting rid of the day.
Step 2 - August PM Moisturiser
Your PM moisturiser will be tailored with actives for the skin goals you selected, and likely have a retinoid (Vitamin A) in it.
Follow any directions that came with your moisturiser, and/or the directions on the bottle.
There will be specific directions in your August box for introducing your skin to a retinoid if you haven’t used them before.
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser - available from Coles and Woolies
- QV Gentle Wash - available from Coles and Woolies
- CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser - available from Chemists Warehouse
- CeraVe Foaming Cleanser (actually quite a gentle foam) - available from Chemists Warehouse
- Any other cleanser you love that doesn’t contain exfoliants
- Cancer Council Face Day Wear Range - Available from Chemists Warehouse and Priceline [super affordable]
- La Roche Posay Anthelios - Available from Chemists Warehouse and Priceline
- Ultra Violette - available from Ultra Violette website, Adore Beauty etc.
- Literally any SPF 30 or SPF 50 you’ve found you are happy to wear. The most important thing here is that you are comfortable enough with how it feels to wear it daily.
Can I wear makeup while on the challenge?
Absolutely! Just be sure to remove it every evening and continue your simple August routine as normal.
Why is there an AM and a PM moisturiser?
Your PM moisturiser will likely contain a gentle form of Vitamin A (A.K.A Retinol / A retinoid), which is best used at night only. Your AM moisturiser will help protect and hydrate your skin throughout the day.
Do I really need sunscreen?
Absolutely. Sunscreen should be part of your daily routine regardless as it is the most effective skincare product you can get. Vitamin A is also known to cause sun sensitivity so it's always recommended to use sunscreen while using Vitamin A.
Can I still exfoliate a couple times a week?
If you’re using higher strength exfoliants, it would be best to discontinue their use for this challenge. Unless you’re experienced with both Retinoids and Exfoliants, and with sequencing and/or alternating nights. Use at your own risk..
If you’re using low strength exfoliants, it would be best to discontinue their use, or reduce their use to once a week. Do not use your PM moisturiser if it contains a retinoid on the same night you exfoliate. Use your AM moisturiser instead.
Using both retinoids and exfoliants increases your likelihood of irritation, redness, and flaking.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any more questions.
T & C's & Disclaimer
Copyright © August Skincare.
All rights reserved. Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a database and retrieval system or transmitted in any form or any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise) without the prior written permission of both the owner of copyright and the above publishers. This document is intended for personal use only.
While the August products you will be using are gifted, your decision to use them as outlined is entirely your own. Participating in the August Challenge by accepting August Challenge products is an acceptance of this disclaimer and the August terms.
The information contained in this document, on our website, and other materials given to you throughout the August challenge is based on multiple author’s experience, expert knowledge and opinions at the time of writing.
The information and advice provided is general in nature and is not medical information or advice, and should not be treated as such.
The information does not take the place of professional or medical advice. Do not use our information to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or medical condition, for therapeutic purposes, or as a substitute for the advice of a health professional.
If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek the immediate advice of a healthcare provider.
We do not accept any liability for any injury, loss or damage caused by use of the information in this document. The information in this document is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Further, and without limitation of the former, the authors and August Skincare do not represent nor warrant that the information contained in this book is accurate, complete, current or non-misleading.